Cavern Diver Course
diver classes are held over 2 days and a minimum of 4 dives is needed to complete
- Open Water Certification.
- Minimum age 16, with signed parental consent.
Classroom Work-Minimum 4 hours
to cover the listed topics:
- Definition & purpose of safe cavern
- Review medical aspects of diving.
- Review decompression tables.
- Proper use of dive computers - how to
& how not to use them.
- The cavern environment.
- Buoyancy control & proper body/attitude
- Cavern diving techniques.
- Accident analysis.
- Psychological aspects of cavern diving.
(stress, attitude, awareness, reaction to stress in self and others).
- Equipment & equipment configurations.
- Lines & line technique.
- Dive planning & gas management.
- Emergency prevention & procedures.
- Proper use of guidelines & reels.
- Techniques in following guide lines.
- Touch contact procedures.
Open Water Skills
- One open water seesion will be done to
practice the skills listed below.
- Use of guidelines.
- Following line with blacked out mask or
loss of visibility.
- Repeat sharing air, first with vision
and then eyes closed.
- Touch contact.
- Following a line without a mask.
- Use of reel
- Various finning techniques-flutter, frog,
- Minimum of 4 cavern dives conducted in
2 or more cavern zones.
- All dives include:
- Pre-dive briefing.
- Bubble check.
- "S" drill.
- Dive team skill evaluation.
- Post dive critique.
- Exercises to include:
- Touch contact, use of reel and guideline,
air sharing, and equipment matching.
- Proper finning & propulsion techniques.
- Proper use of BC, body positioning
& buoyancy control
- Communications with lights & hand
- Familiarzation with cavern zone.
- 3 minute safety stop on all dives.
- The 4 dive minimum is a MINIMUM. In
order to ensure you are trained properly & ready to be certified as
a cavern diver I may require you to do more dives. There will be additional
fees for additional training dives.
Equipment needed for the class
- Mask, low volume preferred
- Power fins with straps taped, spring straps
- 72 cubic foot cylinder, minimum. Cylinder
with dual valve orifice preferred.
- Single hose regulator with octopus as
alternate air source & an SPG.
- Wet or dry suit.
- BCD with power inflator.
- Submersible dive tables or computer.
- Knife or line cutter.
- Slate & pencil.
- Watch and depth gauge if no computer is
- Weight system (If needed) approved by
- 2 dive lights minimum.
- One safety reel per diver.
- One primary reel per team.
- Perform all skills listed.
- Perform the minimum # of dives.
- Maintain appropriate awareness of safety
procedures and protection of the cavern zone. An improper attitude may constitute
grounds for denying certification, regardless of proficency.
- Pass a written exam with a minimum score
Call Jim at